1. If you’re using dried rose petals or lavender, sprinkle it in the bottom of your silicone molds. Set aside.
2. Add 1 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup citric acid to a glass bowl and mix well with a wire whisk.
3. Add essential oils to dry ingredients. Mix until completely blended.
4. Add 2-3 tablespoons of witch hazel to a spray bottle. Spray surface of the mixture and stir. Repeat spraying and stirring until mixture resembles and feels like damp sand. You know it’s good to go when you can shape it into a ball, but it falls apart easily.
YL tip: If the mixture ends up too moist, add more baking soda and citric acid until you get the right consistency.
5. Put the mixture into silicone molds. Press firmly with the back of a spoon or your fingers. The mixture will expand, so leave a small lip (about 1/4 of the mold) at the top.
6. Allow facial steamers time to dry completely—anywhere from a few hours to a few days, depending on your home’s humidity. Pop steamers out of molds.
YL tip: If they refuse to pop, they need more time to dry!