According to Ayurveda, the mind and the heart are one and the same. In the Charaka Samhita, an ayurvedic text, it is said, hridaye chetana sthanam, which means, “the seat of consciousness is in the heart.”
Our mental and emotional state is constantly influenced by the balance of all of the doshas. Every experience we have, each thought and feeling, has its impact on the doshas and subsequently on our overall health. Hence, our physical health is deeply connected to our emotional well-being.
Understanding Sadhaka Pitta
One sub-dosha that stands out when talking about emotional and mental health in the Ayurveda context is Sadhaka Pitta – the caretaker of the heart. It plays an important role in processing life events and emotions.
Sadhaka Pitta’s influence on emotions
When Sadhaka Pitta is in balance, it promotes self-confidence, healthy desires, motivation and feelings of fulfilment. However, when out of balance, the same causes negative emotions including self criticism, low self esteem, jealousy and mood swings. In extreme cases, it leads to serious mental health problems like depression and bipolar disorders.
Balancing our Sadhaka Pitta
A special type of Agni called Sadhaka Agni is responsible for helping us process our emotions and let go of difficult memories. Just as someone with strong Agni has a good metabolism and is able to digest food more quickly, someone with strong sadhaka agni processes negative emotions quickly. Some people are born with a strong sadhaka agni while others have a weak sadhaka agni or are going through a difficult time. By strengthening our sadhaka agni, we can balance our sadhaka pitta to improve our mental well-being and help our loved ones experience the same.
Ayurveda on balancing Sadhaka Pitta
One powerful Ayurvedic herb that is most effective in balancing sadhaka pitta is the Rose. It isn’t a coincidence that rose is linked to romance. Despite its cooling and soothing effect, it’s known to enhance the sadhaka agni. In ancient times, there was a tradition of giving jars of rose petal spread to loved ones. It was meant to inspire unconditional love. It is indeed this tradition that has transformed into present-day tradition of gifting roses on special occasions. Rose in any form boosts positive emotions and elevates the experience of happiness and bliss.
Here’s how you can use Rose in your everyday life.
- Treat yourself and your loved ones to Rose aromatherapy by simply adding Rose Essential Oil to your bath or by opting for an all Natural Rose Soap made from Rose Water and Rose Oil.
- Add Rose Essential Oil to your daily Abhyang (self-massage) and treat your partner with a relaxing and therapeutic massage with Rose Oil to reignite and reminisce the feeling of love.
- Use Kama Ayurveda’s Kannauj Rose Scented Candle or Rose Essential Oil in diffusers to create the soothing ambiance that enlivens the senses.
- After cleansing your face every morning and night, tone with Pure Rose Water. The decadent floral distillation will refresh, hydrate and tone leaving skin scented with the luxuriant scent of pure Roses.
- Including Rose Tea in your daily diet or drinking coconut water with Rose Water daily will further help in balancing sadhaka pitta.